IPv4 is Dying

Right, the 'ipv4pocylipse is coming. The last of the addresses have been handed out and Bad Things Will Happen whether we want to face the problem head on or just ignore the issue till it's even more last minute than it already is. Let's face facts. We've had IPv6 for awhile. XP has had it in system since 2002, and I'm fairly sure most linux flavors have had it for at least that long. Trouble is the routing hardware (routers, modems, and the like) are, as far as my limited knowledge and Google-Fu has shown me, geared to handle IPv4 which means the ISP's are in a bit of a bind.


I'm really an idiot where networking and anything deeper than 'google it, then poke your computer with a stick to see what happens' sort of guy. Oh sure I can bluff if need be, and I know enough to fake my way through most conversations, but this IPv4/6 stuff hadn't hit me till recently.


IPv4 gives you 4.3 billion possible addresses. Not all of them can be used and in some places they will literally run out within the year unless they lease from other entities.


IPv6 gives us... a few trillion addresses. Enough to last us at least until we colonize Mars, start terraforming Venus, have mining operations in the asteroid belt, and possibly even until we figure out how to work faster than light communications to network it all together in real time.


We can buy ourselves time by having the actual traffic through the net be ipv6 and once it hits ISPs and hardware that would be expensive to upgrade have it transcribed into ipv4, at least I think that would work (someone smarter than me please confirm?) But that's only a bandaid till the next crisis hits and if what I've seen is anything to go by there won't be any fixes in that patch till it's a last minute 'fix now or Bad Things Happen' situation.
Post a Comment