Kickstarter I have Questions About: OUYA 'Android Based Gaming Console'

I was wondering how long it would be until we had an android based console.This is apparently an attempt at making that happen. The video at the top of the kickstarter page looks interesting.

I'm going to be honest. When fishing for opinions about the concept I got into an argument with somebody because they thought the concept was stupid. Their counter was you can just plug your laptop (or computer) into your TV, load up emulators, install xbmc and some plugins so it can act as a front end for these emulators (or games, or whatever) and there you go. Console.

Secondary arguments were that android is about as open as a chained and locked gate. 

I honestly have no coherent or well thought out response because from the geek point of view he's right. Modern TVs are now essentially computer monitors you can just hook into and there you go.

Listed Specs:
Tegra3 quad-core processor
1GB RAM
8GB of internal flash storage
HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth LE 4.0
USB 2.0 (one)
Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
Android 4.0 based

All well and good, but how long before those numbers start feeling dated and confining? Phones end up going through essentially a two year lifecycle due to how contracts work out (lock into our contract; get a phone) so there's an upgrade tredmill in place your average user isn't going to notice. Because i don't own a smartphone and have no plans to do o I have no idea how well 'apps' age over time and how claustrophobic the environment starts to feel when you have hardware that's a generation or two behind current.

Then again the console itself is supposed to double as a development environment which should help cut down on the problems of making for one thing and then having users work on another. I want to see how development will work. What tools you'll need outside of the console itself. How 'open' is it really? What could you do with a rooted console? 

Don't get me wrong I'm no Richard Stallman, but if they're banking on 'open' and 'hackable' as words to get people in the door the thing had better be both. What if I want to turn the thing into a workstation? Can I plug a keyboard in? Can I plug a USB squid in so I can have more USB ports? What about an SD card reader? What kind of work will it take to adapt current android software (apps) to work with this thing?

Oh and $99 pricetag? Color me skeptical it'll stay that way.

Yet strangely enough I'm interested in seeing if there's any substance. After all they have a prototype unit that they were showing off in video (even if we didn't get to see much of it or the actual controllers.)

Post a Comment