Re: GamersGate

[Image_0]
I honestly have little to no clue what's going on other than it involves shady practices, the tumble brigade willing to believe I'm Satan because I'm a white male, and 4chan has been banning people.

I am all for diversity and everyone having their say. I think most journalists are fearmongering opportunistic vultures. I think there is far too much screaming and far too little discussing going on. I also think I am too distrustful of any side in this screaming event to get to the heart of the matter with any sort of objectivity.

I also think no matter what happens, as soon as traditional media figures out the fear/terror they can wring out of Ebola is wearing out they will latch onto this, get the facts wrong, and we'll end up with a Katie Couric piece that demonizes gamers while using q gasoline smeared camera to shoot jittery hands at controllers.

I want women to be a strong presence in gaming. After all the whole point of 'game' is to have fun right? Doesn't mean the woman in question will like the same things I like (then again even by nerd standards I'm pretty weird.) There's too much suck and fail in the world to exclude people. So what if the female demographic for first person shooters is pretty low. Who cares if most Americans dislike JRPGs. These are still groups that enjoy their games and should be respected even if what they like isn't what the in crowd likes.

What I want is everyone involved to just sit down, shut up, and stop 'trading up the internet with an argument that is going to be used to insult anyone and everyone that isn't a news agency of some sort no matter where they lay on issues. It will end with soccer moms getting told how we're divisive screaming assholes that are the embodiment of everything that is evil in the world.

Do we want that to be our image? All the good done by Child's Play. Undone and overshadowed by what is already sensationalized and what will be made to look even worse.

Casual? Hard Core? FPS? Male? Female? Doesn't matter gender, genre, or geopolitical leanings. We are Gamers.

posted from Bloggeroid

Post a Comment